Monday, January 27, 2014

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC?

2013 was a good year for music. Maybe a little too good.
I can't be the only one who gets overwhelmed at the mere thought of all the solid albums and bands out there, right? Right?! And thanks to an ongoing love affair with an indie radio station out of Nashville (holla, Lightning 100) I'm exposed to that many more amazing songs and it's hard to keep up sometimes. There's simply just not enough hours in a day to give them the time they deserve.
So here's a few of the bands/musicians/albums I wish I would've paid more attention to last year.

The Head and The Heart- "Let's Be Still"

Everyone (including myself) says that tea is "a hug in a cup" and well "Let's Be Still" is a hug in an album. Now, I loved The Head and The Heart's debut self-titled album. But I admit, I overlooked their release from last year. And I was stupid to do so. This album 100% embodies what Sunday morning feels like to me. Chill, a little upbeat, and just the slightest bit melancholic at times.
Standout track(s): Shake







Lord Huron- "Lonesome Dreams"

This band out of LA isn't new to the scene by any means, but I first heard them in 2013. Their 2012 release, "Lonesome Dreams" makes me want to take a road trip with my best friends in the summertime with the windows down preferably to a location in the Midwest or maybe just down to Nashville. It's ridiculously easy to play this album as background music. But that's not to discount it at all; it's calming and folk-y and yet the lyrics can stand on their own. Like, I want a boy to tell me that I lit a fire and now I'm in his every thought.
Standout track(s): Ends of the Earth, She Lit a Fire, Time to Run



Moon Taxi

If I had heard this album in its entirety it probably would have been my favorite from 2013. I literally cannot sing its praises enough. It's the perfect blend of indie and rock with a hint of folk-y goodness. The more upbeat tracks give me Walk the Moon vibes and I guess I should have listened to Kevin from WTM back in November because this album makes me happy too. The track "Running Wild" just puts a smile on my face and chills down my arms within the first thirty seconds. "The New Black" gets me amped. And "Morocco" is so much fun. Just, listen to it. You won't regret it.
Standout track(s): THE WHOLE DANG THING







…and if you want to know what I did listen to last year click hereee.

1 comment:

  1. moon taxi plays in knoxville a lot! i should check them out next time they are here.

    ReplyDelete