Thursday, July 24, 2014

Why Everyone Should Work Retail.

I've had a job since the day after my 16th birthday, and most of them have been in retail.
I've worked at clothing stores, children's stores, and even at Walt Disney World.
While I love to complain about it and tell people to stay away, I feel as though everyone needs to work retail- at least once. 

It's the worst-but also kind of the best because.... it can only get better right?

Here's 3 things that retail teaches you to use in the real world. 




1. You become an expert folder - First and most obvious, working years of retail will make you crazy about certain things. For me, my entire house can be a mess but you better believe my closet is sorted in color order and all of my clothes are neatly folded and organized. It's out of habit. I can straighten an entire store in 30 minutes during back to school, and I'll gladly take those skills home with me. 


2. Time management - While this comes with any job, working in retail has really taught me 'Hey, you have ____ amount of things to do in ___ hours, how are you going to make it so you get everything done and don't go over payroll?'  

3.You become able to read people from the second they walk in - Will they apply for a credit card? Will their kids wreck the store? Will they stay for an hour and only spend $5? Are they just coming in to ruin conversion for this hour? Within minutes of them being in my store, I usually can tell their motive. You certainly get it wrong every once in a while, but it's an awesome skill to have to address their needs before they even tell you what they are!



Until next month.
-Tay


No comments:

Post a Comment